TTL doesn't work on the latest Pentax digital cameras. I think it went away
after K10, but I'm not sure. PTTL is the later version of through the lens auto
control, and it works to a certain extent. Combined with a flash compensation
setting, which your flash probably has, it can work quite well. Flash
compensation simply dials the flash exposure to a point over or under the
ambient exposure. You'll almost always want to be under. I'm usually at -.5
stop or -1 stop, but that can vary with distance and the reflectivity of your
subject. Lots of practice will get you to a good place.

As others have mentioned, there are gizmos you can attach that will diffuse the
light. The very simple Omnibounce is a darn good one. It doesn't get in the
way, so you'll see it on the flashes of most PJs.

Off camera can be fine, particularly when you are using two flashes or more,
but I'd focus on mastering the on-camera stuff first. You can create the
illusion of off-camera just by bouncing the flash off something in the room.

Outdoor fill is a blessing when the sun doesn't shine where you'd like it to,
but with no ceiling or walls in the great outdoors, you'll find the power of
the flash is greatly compromised. To get good fill from ten feet or so on a
sunny day, you pretty much need direct flash, but dialing it down with the comp
switch is still a good idea. The light from the flash  probably won't reach a
-.5 stop fill level anyway, but in case it does, your butt is covered.

Paul