I have bought my gear very recently, so for me this question is not really a
"what-if". The story goes like this: I had my all manual Zenit SLR and it
was pain in the ass. Big. Heavy. Very limited range of speeds. Pain to load
(as bad as 6x7). And at that time ebay wasn't there yet, and Takumars were
hard to get by. Not that I was looking for them -- I checked a couple of
local stores and got an impression that I shouldn't bother, so I stopped.
But I did take some nice pics with what I had.

Than someone recommended me Olympus Stylus Epic p/s. I was impressed by its
lens and the way it's weather resistant, and for almost a year shot almost
exclusively with it. Then I realized how badly I miss manual controls: the
AF was too easy to fool in dim light, the exposure was hit-or-miss,
autoflash always insisted on being "on", etc. So I decided it's time to get
a "real" camera. After much deliberation I ended up with Minolta Maxxum 7
(MZ-S was a close second, together with Nikon F100). It's ergonomics fit me
almost perfectly, the weight was good (meaning light enough for me to
actually take it with me) and the standard zoom (24-105) was pretty good, if
a bit too plasticky. So I took it with me for Columbus day to New Hampshire.
There I got caught in a rain, and although the camera was in a bag, it got
some moisture and died. When it dried, it revived, but never really
recovered: one moment it wouldn't turn off, another the AF would play dead,
etc. So I returned it to the store.

And then came LX. Actually, I was choosing between it and Nikon F3. LX won,
being better sealed and lighter. Now I thing this was probably the best $500
spent in all that year.

I won't go over why it is perfect -- I think everyone here knows that
already. I don't give a damn about 8fps (or even 2fps) winder -- I can crank
the rewind myself (so far). The much advertized features like "mid roll film
change" I get here for free. Multiple exposures -- a breeze. I don't need
2^10 AF zones and picking on of them. It's LOTS faster and convenient to use
my own eyes, and I can focus in any corner of the screen without having to
recompose.  If I need to do it *really* fast, I just stop down to f/16 and
try to be there. The M-series lenses are light, fast and tack-sharp (and
cheap) . And so on, and, on and on. I suppose I might have been just as
happy with F3 though. My poin is, in my view, any of these cameras is much
better (for me) than any (and I mean *any*) modern SLR. I love technology,
but 90% of the features they put in the new bodies are either useless or
downright harmful (like AF, if you ask me: when I was shooting with AF I
found my self concentrating more on "which sensor to use" rather than
composing a good picture)

Now I am playing with 6x7 (just got my roll of chromes back -- boy, aren't
those gorgeous!) and my only gripe with it is that it doesn't have metering
incorporated in the body. In every other respect I think it is perfect.

Still I am keeping my Stylus Epic ;)