From: Bill
On 06/07/2013 9:07 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:
On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Steve Sharpe <d...@eastlink.ca> wrote:
At 8:53 AM -0400 7/6/13, David J Brooks wrote:
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
  Well I did Dave Brook's trick of taking out batteries and letting camera
  alone for a while - wiped the lid part with a soft lint free cloth...
didnt
  try to reach inside contacts.

  Leaving the camera without batteries for a while did it finally
  but this happening when I really needed the camera ... well.. very scary

  ann

IIRC my IstD did that at the most inopportune times.:-)

Mine always shows discharged batteries when I turn it on, regardless. Turn
it off and then on again, and it's fine.
Curiously, my K100Ds has always done that too, _except_ when I use
Eneloops in it. My guess is that the battery life detect circuit is
over-sensitive to a slight voltage droop like what you get with common
rechargeables (that actually have lots of charge left), but the
Eneloops have a higher voltage until they are almost exhausted.

So I always reserved the Eneloops for the camera and saved the
Duracells and Energizers for the flash.

I recall with my istD that I gave up and started using those horribly
expensive lithium CR5 batteries because I couldn't make the camera work
reliably with AA rechargables. I suspect lithium AA batteries would
work, but I never got around to trying.

bill

With rechargables my *ist-D always showed half battery power even with new fully charged batteries. I read somewhere it's because the rechargables don't give a full 1.5v.

Lithium AA disposable batteries worked just as well as the lithium disposable CR5 batteries did.

I looked for, but never found a rechargable CR5 battery.