On 7/8/2013 4:31 PM, Chris Mitchell wrote:
Well. What a lucky chap I am. Marshall Amps is based here in Milton
Keynes. Jim Marshall (the legendary founder) died last year. He was a
great supporter of our local cancer hospice, and he left instructions
that a replica 1962 Bluesbreaker amp be made in the custom shop and
handed over to Willen Hospice to be raffled. It was and I was the
lucky winner! It is big, heavy and loud. No frills and with its 30
watts and twin Celestion speakers, it sounds sublime. The chassis is
even gold plated.

All of Marshall's high end valve ("tube" to those who celebrate 4th
July) amps are made here, including the cabinets and the hand wired
electrics, and are shipped all over the world. Even the artwork for
the famous "it goes up to 11; it's 1 louder" amp in Spinal Tap was
produced here. I took a trio of muso mates and we had a tour of the
factory and a play in the on-site theatre where famous names from the
music world come and try out the latest toys. A fantastic couple of
hours and then back to work.

Here's a picture (K7, DA* 16-50) of it with my trusty (and also very
heavy) 1973 Tele Deluxe:
http://www.mitch.myzen.co.uk/MarshallAmp/slides/_IMG4720.html

For those interested in factories and some museum pieces such as the
first amp JM ever built, there are some dodgy smartphone pictures in
the gallery behind it all.

Chris

When I took my photo safari in January, one of the stops on my itinerary
was Gibson Memphis. Unfortunately, they do not allow any photography on
the tour, to the point they warn you that they WILL escort you out the
nearest exit for even taking your cell-phone out of your pocket.

I don't know why, because they have the factory tour up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7OjJDZJLH4

Everybody was really nice, but they were really anal about photos.