On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if one of the other rental companies has one of the third
> party 70-200 ish f/2.8 lenses for rent for less?

I rented the Tamron 70-200/2.8 from cameralensrentals.com last year,
but I wasn't happy with that copy's AF accuracy on my K10D. Sometimes
it was OK, but often it was badly off (like focusing on second base at
a baseball game from the third-base stands, and the sharp focus point
ending up ~30 feet further away).

I reported the problem to the rental company when I sent the lens
back, but I didn't get a response, so I don't know if they looked into
it. I was happy with the lens when it was in focus. The problem might
be correctable on a body with AF microadjustment, but it seemed
erratic, so I wouldn't bet on it.