Most likely the last update on this subject. After running for over 16 hours Checkdisk exited after phase 2 and reported no errors...

However now the disk is no longer accessible beyond Seatools reporting it's model number. So either the drive has failed, or the enclosure has. I'm going to test the drive later with a different USB to IDE adapter, to try to narrow that down. I was however able to recover most of the more or less important data. So there's that.

Meanwhile I find it amusing, in a dark sort of way, that windows administrator tools/computer manager/drive management app thinks a drive that just about hangs explorer when it attempts to mount it is healthy.

I've got one more utility to try on the drive before I take it out of it's enclosure, so I apparently have a new hobby and it's not photography.

On 7/10/2013 7:15 AM, Gerrit Visser wrote:
You can always make it into one of these to save it from the dumpster:
http://hotchk155.blogspot.ca/2012/02/digital-pov-clock-working-mostly.html
Gerrit

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of David Mann
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:59 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT Computer conundrum for those who care.

On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:54 AM, P.J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Sure the drive is probably toast, but I'd at least like to try to keep it
alive.  I'm looking for suggestions.

My advice is to forget the tools.  Just get the data off NOW while the drive
is still functioning, and never use it for anything important again.  Make
sure that any important data you retrieve was not corrupted while you have a
chance to try again.

Then start thinking about how you do your backups.  You want to be in a
situation where ANY single drive failing without warning will not cost you
data.  You can ratchet up the paranoia level from there (eg burglary, house
burning down etc which could take out multiple backups in one hit).

Sorry if I seem a little alarmist but I've been in a similar situation with
data I really didn't want to lose.  I was lucky that time.

...and your sig does seem kind of appropriate ;)

There are two kinds of computer users those who've experienced a hard
drive failure, and those that will.

Cheers,
Dave