>The bright patch behind the trees on the left appears a bit blown out.
>I'd want it toned down just enough that it doesn't appear "paper white".

It's not like there is significant detail there that is going to be
brought out if it is less than "paper white". I don't personally have
a problem with the highest values being "blown out" if it is to
preserve more important detail at the opposite end of the dynamic
range. If the scene exceeds the dynamic range of the film/sensor then
something has to give, and I think it is anything but objectionable
here. If you've got blacks that are "paper black" and you've got the
detail you want in other the other zones, I just don't think it is a
crime to have parts that go "paper white".

I have a small area near the horizon of my Kansas Gust Front photo
that is similarly "blown out" but only one person commenting on it has
ever picked that particular nit.

--
"Photography is a Bastard left by Science on the Doorstep of Art" -
Peter Galassi