>  Is there a way to do it without Photoshop

Yes. For Windows user (not sure if that includes you, Shel) windows Paint
does the exact thing that gabriel discussed in his email, and I'm about
99% sure that windows Paint comes with every Windows package (its under
Accessories).

Click on the eyedropper, click on the desired color, go to Color on the
Menu bar, then click on Edit Colors.   From there, click on define custom
colors.  This last step will give you the RGB value.  I havent used it
myself but I think that Gabriels email also gave a link to a site that
will convert it to HEX for you (if necessary).

HTH,
  jerome