On 21 Jul 2013, at 03:27, Zos Xavius <zosxav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So my AF280T made some awful cracking sounds and now only seems to
> fire at 1/1. This makes it pretty much impossible to use. Close
> objects are blown at even iso 100 and f8. Bummer. Just as I was about
> to go out and shoot an event. Joy. I could go with the onboard flash,
> but I think I will just stay home now. I've really had no luck with
> flashes lately. Every one I have bought has either blown up or failed
> in some way a short time later. Its probably time to bite the bullet
> and send my metz 54 in. At least I can have something reliable again.
> Oh photoshoots coming up too. So what's the cheapest half decent flash
> I can buy on the cheap? Old vivitars?

A couple of years ago I found myself away from home for a week or two and in
need of a flashgun. The local camera shop found an old vivitar manual flash in
a backroom somewhere and let me have it for peanuts (groan). It cost
practically nothing, has a tilt/swivel head and guide number of about 28. Same
kind of dimensions as an af280t, but I can't remember the model number.
Definitely a good investment if you can find something like it.