On Tue, Jul 23, 2013, Bruce Walker wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>>
>>> http://flic.kr/p/f7BHhH  Dogwood berries
>>>
>>> Tried my new 30" octa umbrella softbox for macro work; I like it.
>>> Reversed the flash to increase specularity and create more of a
>>> spotlight effect.
>>
>> What do you mean by "reverse the flash"?  (Tried quacking but got mostly
>> comic book hits. ;-)
>
> [This is where plain-text breaks down for communicating visuals. I'll
> try ... ]

You did fine!  Thanks!

Side note: despite my fondness for Lynx, I certainly don't object to
linking to graphic images for explaining something

> With an umbrella softbox you achieve that by installing your flash
> near the front diffuser, but pointing inward toward the silvered
> insides of the umbrella's central spine. So the light bounces all
> around inside and exits through the diffuser (white scrim) nice and
> soft and even, doubly diffused.
>
> For a different look you can "reverse the flash" by setting it near
> the umbrella spine, pointing toward the diffuser. Now most of the
> light will be concentrated near the center of the diffuser with
> fall-off toward the edges and corners. If you meter the surface the
> center will be 2-3 stops brighter than the edges. In addition, there
> will be some hard specular (directional) light because you no longer
> have a double diffusion effect.

That's what I would have guessed, but given my functionally zero flash
experience I figured asking was better than guessing.  This sounds
functionally similar to just using a diffuser in front of a flash, is
that correct?  If yes, is there any advantage to this approach beyond
having your umbrella already set up and it's easier to reverse the flash
than switch to a different flash setup?
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/