So sorta I fixed my 16-45. I will send my worst copy off to CRIS and
have them tighten and align it since I think it has problems beyond
just a wobbly barrel and looks sort of decentered. My fix was simple.
Realizing that when the barrel was aligned and not drooping I was
getting fairly sharp pictures edge to edge a lightbulb went off. I can
just simply add more dimension to the barrel of the lens so it is
tighter inside the tube. I started off cutting a piece of inkjet film
as a shim. It certainly reduced the wobble. I then cut a piece to the
dimensions of the barrel. After noticing an improvement in reducing
the amount of wobble when slid in between the outer and inner barrels
I added a piece of paper to the mix and found it gave just enough
tightness. Zooming is slightly stiffer, but it doesn't seem so tight
it will wear out the zoom cams. I now went from nearly 1/4" of wobble
to maybe 1mm or so. I'm very sharp till the extreme edges of the
frame. And that's at f5. This lens really performs when it is aligned
correctly. I'm going to keep using it this way until something breaks
or it goes bad and will have a decent copy as a backup hopefully. So
if anyone has problems with their 16-45 because the barrel gets loose,
my advice is to just simply shim it and save yourself the $200 CRIS
will ask for. It feels much more robust now. I don't know why pentax
just didn't make the tolerances tighter to begin with. Even with tight
gears there still is a lot of clearance between the inner and outer
barrels and I firmly believe that is what loosens whatever internally
is supposed to be holding it tight. I looked at some pictures of a
deconstructed 16-45, and couldn't see any way to tighten them
internally short of replacing parts where tolerances had become loose.
I think its a horrible design if you ask me. I kind of like the
reverse zoom and it seems to work well with the optical formula
though. It would be really cool for Pentax to update this lens, and
since they discontinued it, I'm hoping some sort of mid-grade
replacement is coming. Hopefully with WR.