Thanks guys for the input on the manual lens stuff..

I've now told the camera it is a 50mm lens, (the Smc A)
but more importantly, I think the focus problem was the diopter setting in the view finder.. I took off the eye cup and then was able to change the diopter - and see better too. I have to do some more shots to convince myself I can keep things sharp... quickly.. it was hard to see the lines that you are supposed to make sharp. but I think I've got it now. (doing it with my distance glasses on.)

Derby, re "Zone focusing" - is that the same thing as what I know as
"Hyper-focal distance?" setting it for shooting from the hip?

when I use the 50, I have to set the lens on A for it to work at all
The 28mm lens I have isn't an A series . It worked with an adaptor
on my Rebel... Nothing happens at all - Can't push the shutter, etc ..and window that tells you how to tell the camera what lens you have
doesn't appear.  Too bad, I'd love to use that lens

ann