Seriously, as most of you probably already know, soft focus does have
its place. The brides would love a series that I would do (back in my
wedding photography days) that was close-ups of the B&G looking into
each other's eyes (shot by doorway or window light with no flash, and
from the perspective of over the shoulder of one and then the other).
Back then we would use a UV filter that had clear nail polish dabbed
around the outside, leaving the very center portion clear. The effect
could vary depending upon the aperture and how much light you had
spilling on the front of the filter.

Soft focus is also good for vain older women's portraiture.

--
"Photography is a Bastard left by Science on the Doorstep of Art" -
Peter Galassi