My local grocery store (same store as the "halloween candy" post) had
a photofinishing area that occupied a fairly large space.  Maybe 12x20
feet.  There had been three self-service kiosks and a pretty big
counter space.

I was at the customer service desk last week, when I noticed the
photo-finishing counters and all of the equipment were gone.  The
space was empty, looking like it was waiting to be reused for
something else.

I'm sure the customer service clerks were relieved to see it go.  They
had to bounce between photo-finishing, dry-cleaning, lottery tickets,
post office, cigarettes and general customers service spread over four
counters.  That's one less space to cover.

The clerk said there wasn't enough activity to justify the space.
They were in the process of removing the equipment throughout the
whole chain of over 200 stores.

I wasn't totally surprised to hear that. That's a lot of space for a
grocery store to devote to something that doesn't generate much profit
or bring a lot of people in the door.  If I had given it any thought,
I should have been surprised that they had retained the service for as
long as they did.

When I returned this week the space has been filled with T-shirts and
Sweatshirts silk-screened with the names of local high-schools. There
was also a bunch of pennants, foam fingers, and other sports stuff.
School starts soon and football season starts shortly after that.  It
looks like the space will be used for seasonal promotions.

gs

George Sinos