On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:46 AM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

> a few years ago i contracted at a large corpse where another department (on
> which my department relied for file services) managed to obliterate a RAID
> array ("RAID is safe, right?") and in the process discovered their (untested)
> backups were also faulty … heads rolled; the situation i had been brought in
> to clean up (i am a software janitor) was even more tenuous, but from the
> start i had advocated protective measures, so i was made to seem very wise

I know a guy who used to work at Telecom.  He once told me about a telephone
exchange that crapped itself and lost its data, so they went to restore from
backup.

The trouble is, they'd had a software update a couple of years previously that
had a bug which caused it to write corrupt data to the backup.  So they had to
re-enter everything from paper records.

> quite recently i took a retainer for improving a website and said one of the
> first things i needed to do was confirm the site was properly backed up; i
> soon got word from the previous contractor that he didn't think the backups
> were working; the clients, while failing to give me any way to check the
> backups, and thus making it impossible to set up a staging server,
> nonetheless insisted i rush a major reconfiguration of the site; when the
> clients clearly didn't understood nor accept the liability of this approach,
> i told them it wasn't going to work and said goodbye

Very wise move.  You have a good CYA plan :)

Cheers,
Dave