First impressions are favorable. The build is up to Pentax standards. The focus is
buttery smooth, like my best-focusing lens, a Kiron 105/2.8 1:1 macro. The focusing
ring travels 180 degrees.

The multicoating is a beautiful blue and the glass is immaculate. The body has no mars
or scratches. Someone appears to have bought this and promptly put it in a drawer.

The tripod ring is compact, inconspicuous, with an arrow labeled FREE and LOCK. The
bult-in hood extends about one inch. The lens is about 7.7 inches long (196mm).

The DOF scale is marked at f/11 and f/22 only. The aperture click-stops at all
half-stops from f/4.5 to f/22. The bold white aperture numbers are easy to read in my
XR-P's aperture window; I don't know about my KX's; the lens was shipped to a
coworker's home, so I'm writing from work. :)

The lens can focus as close as 2.5 m--not as short as the Pentax 300/4.5s or 300/2.8s
but better than the earlier Pentax 300/4s. At its closest focus, I can fill the
viewfinder with 10.5 inches of a ruler, or 267mm (1:7.4).

Christian Skofteland just received his Sigma APO Macro 300/4 AF. We live about 15
miles apart but have never met. We'll be getting together in a park soon to compare
300s and other goodies.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (who wishes he could go out and play with his new toy)