Since there is a lot of experience on this list, I thought I would ask
for opinions on the original 8 element Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. There
are various stories (and or theories) on this lens and I'm not sure
what to believe. Some say that this was a Pentax loss-leader and
designed to equal or better the Zeiss Planar. They eventually changed
to a 7 element design that was "good enough" and saved money. Others
say that the 7 element design was an improvement over the 8 and that
with coatings improvements the later ones are the best of the bunch.

Does anybody know which story is the true one (and is there an
authoritative source)?

Also, if anyone has done any comparisons and feels strongly about the
early design (good or bad) I'd love to hear experiences.

--
"Photography is a Bastard left by Science on the Doorstep of Art" -
Peter Galassi