I've given up on using free email. Waste of time.

I've been using email services that are part of my Apple services for a long
time. A little expensive but it's been rock solid reliable.

But otherwise, I'd go to hover.com and register a domain ($15/yr) then add
email service to it (classic service is plenty for most folks, $20/year). Cheap
enough for anyone, and hover is a breeze to work with.

Godfrey