Thanks Bruce. i shot about a dozen pics of Grace yesterday morning, and I was
surprised to discover that about half of them were objectionably soft and many
were at least a little soft. Checked my DA* 16-50/2.8 against a brick wall this
afternoon at f2.8 and discovered that the focus field is off kilter. When the
right side of frame is in focus, the left side is seriously out of focus.
That's the same problem that plagued early samples of this lens. I had sent my
first one back immediately after I purchased it, and B&H replaced it with this
one. I checked it when it was new, and it was right on. I'm quite sure it
continued to be right on over the last few years. But two weeks ago, when
shooting the dream cruise, I took a nasty spill. I held the camera and mounted
DA* 60-250 aloft, and they seemed to have come through unscathed. But the 16-50
was in a lens bag hanging from a strap on my shoulder. It looked fine but may
have taken a pretty nard hit. In any case, it's off to CRIS for re
 pair. I count it as an unavoidable maintenance expense, but I hate to be
without it. I'll have to get by with the DA 12-24 and FA 35/2. Could be worse I
guess.

Paul