on 2013-09-05 16:03 Larry Colen wrote
On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 03:50:18PM -0600, steve harley wrote:
on 2013-09-05 13:24 Larry Colen wrote
The mac-mini seems to have a couple of major advantages over the iMac or
laptops:

1) more ports, and a wider range of ports. USB, firewire, thunderbolt, video
and gigabit ethernet

i would consider the ports more of a trade of the Mini's HDMI and
FireWire ports for a built-in display and an extra Thunderbolt port

There are also tbolt ports on the display.

ah, there's also 4 x USB 2, Ethernet & FireWire on the display that i hadn't thought about, but once you plug the display into the Mini you will have one free Thunderbolt port total,

if the CPU is obsolete, just put it in TDM and it will act just like
a Thunderbolt display (the CPU can idle or remain booted headless)

How would I do this with my old iMac?  It doesn't have a thunderbolt port.

TDM only works on iMacs 2009 & later (and 2009 & 2010 use DisplayPort instead of Thunderbolt)

[disk upgrade info]

Interesting.  Kind of moot at the moment.

yeah, but that info is for others reference as well …

I thought that Lightroom didn't make use of the GPU.

that's why i said "when it matters"; Photoshop does use the GPU, and Aperture (my main photo tool) certainly does, many other graphics, music & video apps too; a GPU will make a modest difference regardless because the OS uses it for windowing and some background tasks