John, he's not referring to simple static text pattern or regex based
rules. He's referring to heuristic textual analysis that ranks and
routes email by content. It can deal with mail from senders you've
never heard from before. It's based on the same technology that they
use to detect spam but repurposed to categorize it (where one of the
sub-categories is "spam").

Back when I was building mail routers for a firewall company we were
working on such a system based on Bayesian statistics. It could
reliably detect spam but it could also broadly categorize email,
though much less reliably than spotting spam. Google has the design
chops to get that right and they are rolling that tech out now.

--
-bmw