well, you'd know a bit about that Gateway 486-DX2/66V I had, wouldn't you?

(for those who don't know, Marnie got some more use out of that system
when I retired it, although I hung on to the flatbed scanner and the
big old laser printer for a few more years)

The system that replaced it - my last desktop system - cost around $1300.
Nowadays you can get a pretty good setup for perhaps $700 to $900 or so;
while you can get cheaper systems, you're often giving up a bit too much.