Driving home last night, I caught a show on NPR about color perception.

http://www.radiolab.org/2012/may/21/

There were some interesting discussions about trichromats, tetrachromats,
and animals that are penta or hexchromats.

It is something that I've been thinking about a lot lately, espcially since
I've been playing with IR photography and the way it is captured and
presented by my camera.  With the ridiculously high resolution sensors now
available, it would be interesting to experiment with bayer filters that
had finer spectral resolution.  Rather than having half of the pixels
be green at 550nm, maybe have 1/4 centered at 520 and 1/4 at 580.

Of course, we're limited not only by our eyes, but in the colors presented
by our monitors. I don't know any way to directly apply any of the
things dicussed in radio show to photography, but it is some interesting
background on vision.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc