Well, I thought I'd post this here in case anyone needs to know one
way to fix a dead hard drive.

We had a hellacious thunderstorm come through a couple of weeks ago
and with it the requisite amount of earth shaking thunder and
lightning. I had my Dell desktop PC on at the time and we had a power
spike followed by a brief black out. When the power came back on the
computer appeared just fine (it is plugged into a surge protector
which did not trip). A couple of days later after a few start ups I
heard the clicking sound of death from my primary HD. It still managed
to boot and the clicking went away so I ran a defrag and disk clean
and it appeared that the drive was working perfectly.

Two boots later, nothing. Clicking returned and BIOS wouldn't
recognize the drive.

Since this drive is partly backed up and doesn't contain anything
mission critical I decided I would attempt to fix it myself. After
searching the net for all kinds of advice (including some really bad
ideas about heating and freezing the drive) I opted to swap the PCB
board from a like drive and give that a go. $17 drive off eBay arrived
and I swapped boards. Clicking stopped, drive spun, but unfortunately
it still wasn't recognized in the BIOS. Bummer.

I got a low-cost external drive enclosure so that I could more easily
test the unit on another Dell laptop. And after many fruitless and
frustrating attempts to get the computer to see the hard drive I
finally found a site that explained that the 8-pin ROM chip from the
failed drive's PCB needs to be swapped to the good donor board on some
drives. Ok, this isn't the easiest thing to do correctly by a shade
tree mechanic like me, but I gave it a go. You cannot use a soldering
iron, you have to heat the chip contacts with a heat gun and remove
the chip with tweezers. It's not easy and my first attempt failed to
secure the contacts on one side of the chip. Luckily, and
miraculously, a second attempt with the heat gun (modified with a
snout made from aluminum foil making a narrow tip) secured the
contacts when I applied light pressure to the top of the chip. Drive
came back to life on next attempt to connect via USB. Proceeded to
quickly copy any and all needed files.

After all this, the rest of the weekend is pure gravy. <note to self:
back up ALL of your drives, dummy>

Figured I'd post this since there are innumerable sites referencing
the control board swap but few mention the ROM swap needed for some
drives. For reference this is an 3.5" IDE 160GB WD Caviar from about
2006.

-Brendan

--
"Photography's greatest handicap is the ease with which the medium as
such can be learned. As a result, too many budding neophytes learn to