Chris and I taught Eric about hyperfocal distance on our walk this weekend.

A refinement of zone focusing is the trick that paps used to use with flash.
They set the focus distance so that the frame covered more or less the full
height of a person, and set the aperture to the appropriate size for their
flash. When they wanted to pap their sleb they'd walk up to a fixed distance,
and fire. Always the same settings, always in focus, exposure always perfect.