> I know you were. The thing that, frankly, bugs me the most about your
> criticisms, in particular, is that they come from someone who has no
> personal experience with Pentax bodies since the K-7. What you cannot
> know, from personal experience, is that Pentax "leapfrogged" the
> competition in the APS-C world, in the metric that is important to
> most people (Image Quality, even at higher ISOs) when they introduced
> the K-5. In your mind, apparently it didn't happen. In fact, it has
> been only relatively recently that anything APS-C has even come close
> to SURPASSING it. And as they do, Pentax appears to be raising the bar
> yet again with the K-3. (I'm not one of those people who just has to
> have the latest/greatest of everything, but I'm happy to see that
> after their ownership change and all of the wondering by the Pentax
> faithful that the company "answers the bell" with so strong of a
> product - according to the specs.

And I say, so what if I didn't own a K-5? Whether I've owned a K-5 or
not has not been the basis for my camera purchasing decisions. You
make numerous claims about it's superiority yet I can figure you
haven't actually picked up the competition and examined the output
scientifically.

What criticisms? Not of the K-5. I've never said the K-5 is an
inferior camera in it's class. In fact by all accounts it's excellent
in terms of high ISO.

It seems to me that you take statistics and statements that are in
reality a 'splitting of hairs' and then make grandiose statements like
'Pentax "leapfrogged" the competition in the APS-C world, in the
metric that is important to most people (Image Quality, even at higher
ISOs) when they introduced the K-5'.

dpreview writes in it's K-5 review: The Pentax K-5's noise reduction
does a remarkably good job and is pretty much on par with the best
performing APS-C camera in low light that we've tested so far, the
Nikon D7000 (not that much of a surprise as both cameras are built
around the same sensor technology)... Generally the differences in
high ISO performance between the APS-C models of this latest
generation of digital SLRs is fairly small. The K-5 uses a slightly
more contrasty tone-curve than the Nikon D7000 but in terms of detail
the difference between the two cameras is marginal.

dxomark: gives the K-5 sensor a score of 82 and the D7000, a score of
80. The K-5 is clearly better, right? dxomark goes on to write:
Sensor Overall Score is logarithmic. A 5-point difference on the scale
corresponds to a gain or loss of sensitivity of 1/3 of a stop. So the
difference in real terms is less than 1/6 of a stop.

Luminous Landscape explains: Don't get hung up on score differences of
only a few points: 5 points is roughly the smallest visible difference
in actual photos (DxO says it is equivalent to 1/3 stop). The
measurements themselves appear to be repeatable in DxO’s lab to within
one or two points

Those and other reviews lead me to believe that the statement "Pentax
leapfrogged the competition" is inaccurate and exaggerated. The
reality is that the IQ between the K-5 and the D7000 at least, is
almost identical and if one does have an edge it's likely invisible to
the eye.

Pentax leapfrogged their prior model, and the prior generation of
sensors, not the competition.

> I realize it remains to be seen if the K-3 delivers on what its specs
> promise, but if you can name another APS-C camera ( that has been
> announced today) that comes out in front of the K-3 even if only in
> specs, I think we'd all love to hear it. If you can't then the K-3
> will become the APS-C front-runner. It will have gotten there by
> leapfrogging the competition. Nothing wrong (at all) with Bill's
> choice of words and thus nothing to react to, unless you have a
> (severely dull) axe to grind.

That's plain ridiculous Darren. If I can name another APS-C announced
TODAY? What about tomorrow? I don't think the K-3 leapfrogs the
competition. It's merely the newest Pentax model, to be followed by
newer models by others, and by Ricoh (Pentax).

If leapfrogging is something to be proud about then we might as well
admit it doesn't really matter because you know how the game works.

> Aside: If the switchable AA filter thing works as intended, it will be
> something that Nikon and Canon *can't* easily replicate - since they
> don't have sensor movement as part of their current design. Sony
> might, some day.

I frankly see that feature as a footnote that would not enter into a
purchasing decision.

> I sincerely hope you are happy with your D800E and your Sony NEX-7.
> They are both fine cameras and I understand your rationale for
> choosing them (very valid, IMHO). But what I truly don't get is why it
> makes you happy to urinate in the Cheerios of those who still like
> Pentax products. What does that do for you? More than anybody on this
> list, I'm sure that I've gained the most from your leaving Pentax for
> Nikon/Sony. I've gained your Bigma, your DA 16-45mm, and a BG-4 grip.
> I'm much obliged.

You're welcome. That was Cheerios? I thought it was your beer. :)

You seem to take my statements as a personal insult and they're not
intended that way.

I think it's great that Pentax has the K-3. There's nothing wrong with
liking Pentax products. After 13 years in film and then 10 in digital
I got tired of waiting for them to catch up in the APS-C arena. As for
the K-5, as I've explained before, it was too late. If it had been the
K-7 I might have felt differently, but as it was, I was tired of
waiting, and I'd still be waiting for FF.

Tom C.