On Oct 11, 2013, at 6:01 PM, knarf <knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First time I came to Toronto to visit in 1968 all the streetcars looked like
> this. Montreal had closed their last tram line around 1960 so these seemed
> very antiquated and anachronistic to my 12 year old eyes.

We had trams until 1954 which is way before my time.  The trams were replaced
by buses and the tracks were simply paved over.

There has been a lot of support for the idea of building a new light rail
system while we have the chance but the authorities dismissed it without any
serious consideration.

Cheers,
Dave