Thanks to all for the encouraging words.

Regarding aiming, I did see one guy say that shining a laser pointer
into the viewfinder (and therefore bouncing off the prism, mirror and
out the lens) makes a nice aiming device. I have one ordered, but it
hasn't shown up yet. If that works it would make things MUCH simpler -
although not as simple as having three hands to adjust the camera on
the ball head whilst holding the laser pointer properly. :)  I also
saw a simple focusing aid - two thin rubberbands stretched around the
camera and across the front of the lens to form a crosshairs. (Creates
diffraction spikes on the bright stars and sharp diffraction spikes =
in proper focus). Want to try that also.

Larry mentioned Comet ISON as a possible next target, and it is the
main reason that I'm trying to get my technique "tuned up". That
target will take a longer (and therefore more demanding) focal length.
I plan on trying my newly acquired M* 300mm f4 on that target. It is
also more demanding in that one must capture it before morning
astronomical twilight begins. This morning would have been perfect
skies and the pair of Mars and Regulus were up there just taunting me
as I walked the dog this morning.

I hope the weather cooperates and I can try it one of these mornings
very soon (before the moon begins to interfere).

Astronomical stacking is a bit like the old days of film. You don't
get quite the instant gratification of digital because you need to put
a number of exposures together and coax the info out with
post-processing. But, WOW, when you see that stack and apply changes
to the histogram and curves to see the incredible detail that results
for the first time -- it is much the same feeling I had the first time
I saw, in the darkroom's light of the safelight, the image forming
from nothing on the paper in the tray of developer. Very cool.

--
Nothing is sure but death and Pentaxes.