I've been using Corel PhotoPaint 8, and find that I can do nearly
anything I have wanted to do (so far). I do find masks hard to work with
when the borders are critical. It also comes with a good assortment of
plug-ins.

The main things I work on with image-editing software concern color,
contrast, saturation, backgrounds, sharpening, gaussian blur, correcting
dust/scratches, repainting damaged areas, and masks. PhotoPaint seems to
do all of those fairly well, except mask edges.

My questions are to those who have used both: Is Photoshop worth the
much greater cost? Can it do mask edges more easily? And does it come
with the same range of included plug-ins (or do you have to buy those
separately)?

Thanks for the advice,

Joe