On Sat, Oct 19, 2013, Boris Liberman wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 10:14 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>>You are missing the point.  Because of the crop factor, FF lenses are
>>larger/heavier than APS-C, which in turn are larger/heavier than m4/3.
>>The fact that FF bodies are relatively not much larger/heavier than APS-C
>>doesn't change the lens size/weight equation.  Unless FF can achieve
>>significantly better results, why would anyone get it?
>
> Aahz, I can give you at least one example when the above statement
> fails. Pentax SMC DA* 16-50/2.8 is within 10% the same size/weight
> as Sigma EX 24-60/2.8. Given that Pentax is somewhat longer on the
> long end of the zoom if crop factor is taken into account, the
> comparison is also approximate. Yet, Sigma is a full frame lens
> which I quite like, whereupon Pentax is cropped one.

That's not a sealed lens, therefore not directly comparable.  More
importantly, that's not a telephoto lens; the mount and hardware at
shorter focal lengths makes more difference, and you start seeing more
significant differences out past 100mm/e.

What does a 90-375/4 look like?  What about a 27-200/3.5-5.6?
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/