As many have commented, "what camera do you tell a beginner to buy" is not
readily answered - it depends too much on the person and their interests.
Larry's variation on the question - "what would you do if you were to replace
your entire kit" I'll come back to in a minute. My own variation on the
Beginner question is: "what camera would you give your teen-aged son/daughter
for Christmas? They have shown an interest in photography and you want to
encourage that interest . . ." I'll come back to this in a minute also.

1. What camera should a beginner buy?  Which restaurant serves the best food?
What university should I go to? Does this dress make me look fatter? All
questions that have no good answer other than "it depends." The value a more
experienced consumer can provide to a less experienced is to explain what the
decision might depend on. I.e., help the newbie think about whether they want
to do portraiture or wildlife, product photography or macros, fashion
photography or scenics, wedding photography or other self-inflicted torture.
Discuss the benefits and limitations of different camera features vis a vis the
direction they think they are headed. And then caution patience. A first date
does not inevitably lead to marriage, nor does a first camera purchase involve
a life-long brand commitment.

In short, my recommendation to a beginner is: "Buy something that feels good in
your hand. Travel to NYC or wherever you need to go in order to actually see
and hold the camera(s) before you make your final decision. Buy something and
get started. Spend time in the library and on the internet looking at others'
photography. When you are excited by a style or subject matter, read more about
how it is done. Try to replicate it yourself. Learn the limitations of your
first camera, the ways it gets in your way. Then give the first one away and
get your second camera. Repeat the cycle at least 3 times in the first 5 years."

2. What camera would I give a teen-aged child? Pentax of some variety because
that is what I have and know; I could answer questions, offer advice, and share
equipment in ways that wouldn't be so easy with some other brand. Today,
probably a K-5 or K-50 + 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses. Or whatever in those
ranges is currently available.

3. What would I buy if everything were stolen and I had the insurance money
adequate to buy whatever I wanted? Probably stick with Pentax DSLR, though I
would consider Nikon DSLR  as well. Pentax because it is familiar, Nikon
because they offer capabilities beyond what I can get with Pentax (and Nikon is
quite similar to Pentax in camera-body functionality, control layout, menu
layout, etc.). DSLR because I have yet to see an LCD screen or EVF which does
not get in my way when I look at a scene.
If Pentax, two K-3's. If Nikon, one FF body for wide angle and one APS-C body
for longer lenses. If Pentax, a selection of the Limited lenses plus 12-24,
16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, 60-250/4.0 and 300/4.0. If I could find another
FA*200/4.0 Macro that would definitely be on the list! If the funds were there,
I would also toy with the notion of a 645D and a couple of lenses. If Nikon,
besides the comparables to the Pentax lenses, I would add 1.4xTC, 2.0xTC,
200-400 and 500mm lenses, and a couple of the tilt/shift lenses. And the
availability of tilt/shift, the longer zoom, a 180mm macro, and functional
tele-converters would be the primary aspects of the Nikon system that might
induce me to switch away from Pentax.

stan