On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 01:24:00PM -0400, CollinB wrote:
> >If you decide to buy it, do a brick wall test at f2.8 before  you complete
> the purchase. Some copies of that lens have misaligned elements, resulting
> in uneven focus across the frame. But good copies of the lens are excellent.
> >
> >Paul
>
> Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.

I often wax eloquent about how much I love my FA77, and never say much about
my 16-50. It's not a lens that inspires passion.  What it is, however,
is like my old Honda Civic wagon.  It's just pretty damn good at anything,
and being weatherproof, it will go just about anyplace.

On the K-5, you don't need to worry about the weather when you have that
lens.  It's not as fast as a good prime, but on the K-5 you can wander
around a city at night taking photos, hand held, without a flash.
Except for a few shot with my bigma and my korean fisheye last week,
I think that all of my photos on my trip to LA and back were shot with
the 16-50.  It's an unglamorous workhorse that just gets the job done.

When I met John Francis, he said that his 16-50 pretty much lived
on his camera. I've come to realize that mine now does as well.  If
I'm carrying my camera around in my fanny pack, I might put the DA35 macro
on, because it is a lot smaller and lighter.  If I'm going to be
shooting outside and need range, 18-250.  If I'm going to be shooting
inside, without flash it might be the FA31, for the extra stop and a half.

But, if you were only allowed one lens to go with a K-5, the 16-50 will
probably get you better pictures more of the time than any other lens
that I can think of.

Assuming, of course, you get one that works.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc