Hi!

My recent exchange with sir William of Robb got my mind wandering... Needless to say it was all very virtual, and no actual decapitation took place.

Seriously however. Come think of it. Whenever I plan a new purchase (be it a new monitor for my computer, new tablet or new washing machine) I go to the net. I look for respective review sites, try to find forums related to the issue and study the subject.

Given that I have certain experience in this kind of things, I could in theory spot fanboyish, dishonest or biased reviews/posts/opinions and thus filter out the rubbish.

Unlike things such as photography and/or computers with which I have direct and rather extensive experience, pretty much everything else - I have to rely on the information that I get from the net. Specifically, in my very case - I often value convenience over other things (yes, I am lazy and stuff). To that end, I am more interested in personal opinions of private people, not that of official reviewers or official review sites.

It would seem to me that at the end, what is written on the internet forums is in fact very important part of my routine as far as things discussed on the net go. Of course I wouldn't want to spend my time reading reviews of running shoes - I'd just go and choose a pair.

However, it would seem that any serious company, even one such a Pentax, should be aware about its internet presence. Further, I think, in fact I'm pretty much sure, that their marketing department has people who frequent these forums and who may even try to influence the public opinion though these forums.

I wonder what do you think on this matter.

Boris