From: Stan Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: Your opinion on mr Rowell?

On Nov 5, 2013, at 12:08 AM, David Mann wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2013, at 4:47 pm, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/11/2013 7:49 PM, Jack Davis wrote:
>>> I thought Galen to be a Nikon bigot and employed a swaggering literary
>>> style. I wrote and told him that some years prior to his death.
>> Galen Rowell is dead? That's very sad. He was a good photographer.
>
> Yes, both he and his wife were killed in a light-plane crash several years
> ago.  IIRC something went wrong during landing.
>
> I'm another fan of his... I borrowed Mountain Light from the library a long
> time ago and decided to buy a copy, only to find that it was out of print.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

As a climber and photographer Rowell was an inspiration for me. Not in the
sense that "someday I want to be like him", because he was so far beyond me
that I couldn't imagine getting to that level myself myself. More in the sense
that it was empowering to see someone do good work and make a good living and
enjoy himself throughout. He was one of the best mountain-travel writers of his
day, the best mountain-scape photographer of his day, and he did it from the
inside. He wasn't just passing through; he lived in those scenes. I was quite
saddened when I heard about his accident a few years ago.

stan