On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 04:29:53PM -0500, John wrote:
> I have been considering the purchase of a 25-35mm to something lens.
> In the decision process I went into my drawer of previous lenses too
> precious to sell. (translation: Once in the drawer, they get lost in
> the memory )  Out came a Tamron screw mount short (35-135 f 3.5)
> Macro Zoom.
>
>  I don't remember this lens and do not understand how to use it.
> Having an available adapter, it is now sitting on my istDS.  I have
> no questions on the zoom settings but don't understand the macro
> settings.   There are additional settings that change the focus
> slightly by changing some focus point at the mount and  allow the
> lens to be focused  closer to the subject at the long zoom end.
> There are indicators on the bottom of the barrel of the lens and
> these range from 1:4 to 1:7.  What are these indicators on the macro
> side trying to tell me?  It appears that there is not a great change

Those indicators tell you the maximum magnification.

> in focus distance and picture size as I move the lens setting from
> 1:4 to 1:7 and the image does not seem to change radically as I move
> the zoom in and out although the focus distance does decrease.

A lot of macro zooms have you move the zoom to one end or the other of
the zoom range, then do something to the lens, twist it or something,
and then the zoom slider changes the focus rather than the focal length.

> Is this a good learning tool or do I have an additional paper weight

It is possibly a good tool for learning how to use google and see
if there is any documentation on the lens.  Or any posts on the net
by someone else who has one, that you can ask.

> to add to the collection?  Can this lens be used on  the K-series

Yes.

> and what is the impact on a full frame camera if one appeared?  I
> would guess that the coverage would be fine as it was designed for a
> film camera?

It should be at least as sharp as it was on filem.
You'll just notice the lack of sharpness more.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc