Rick,
Next time you should go to the old town and the original Mission which
sits above it.
The mission was along/above the San Diego river(?) which has been dried up, and
replaced at the ocean with Mission Beach recreation area.  It is not like
San Juan Capistrano or the better missions.  The city took the
initiative to develop
the river flats into a birding area and lakes for sailing.
I'm sure I have pictures but they are on film.
Regards,  Bob S.