Charles -

Since you have the F 70-210 on the way this is obviously too late, but another option might be the FA 80-320 f4.5-5.6. I've been quite satisfied with mine, though it is rather slow and very noisy (makes a high pitched "geary" noise when it focuses.)

WRT 400mm f5.6 lenses - even with 400mm you need to be within 15 feet of smaller birds (e.g. finches) to get a frame filling shot on APS C. Not sure what camera you are using but with shake reduction the 400mm is difficult to use, but not unusable. A monopod, tripod or beanbag can help a lot.

Mark