On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> Also thanks to Bob and Bruce.  I don't have a sock for the umbrella,
> I'm not quite sure what that is actually.

It's a disk of white diffusion with elastic sewn into the entire
circumference. You slip it over the open brolly and that becomes a
brolly softbox. There's a hole at the center for the umbrella's center
pole and your light to poke through.

Search down for White Front Diffusion Fabric here:
http://www.paulcbuff.com/plm.php

There are small ones for beauty dishes too.

> That's a good point about
> some fill from below.  I wonder how it would work to just lean a
> large sheet of white foamcore against the light stand.

Depends on the distance and angle. Get the model to hold a reflector
or white foamcore on his/her lap and tilt the far edge up to about 15
degrees off horizontal. This becomes, basically, clamshell lighting.

--
-bmw