On dry city streets skinny road slicks have the best adhesion.

In the snow they sink down to pavement and aren't that bad. Once the salting
and plowing is done they're fine. Before that treaded cyclocross tires are
great but snow gets cleared fast downtown and once on bare pavement they wear
down quickly.

Mountain bike tires are too much resistance.

Road tires are the best compromise in most conditions imho.

Cheers,
frank