On Dec 26, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Bill wrote:

> On 25/12/2013 3:26 PM, Brian Walters wrote:
>> Quoting Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com>:
>
>>> Happy Christmas
>>

>> And to you, in spite of my envy!.
>>

> Thanks Brian, I hadn't thought of it that way.
> Sorry.
>
> Attila, it is, unfortunately, the middle of winter here, so test pictures
> will be few and far between, I'm afraid. Both the Peso of my great niece and
> the wind chime were done with the zoom.
>
> Miserere, the zoom ring is REALLY easy to grab, but it is big. I think a
> person with small hands might find this lens bigger than is comfortable.
> If anyone thinks the 20-40 follows the tradition of petite lenses, let that
> thought go. This is a substantial piece of equipment, something the specs
> don't tell.
> The specs say the 20-40 is slightly bigger around than the 31, but look at
> the shape of a 31. The 20-40 is bigger through the middle than the 31 is at
> the front and is longer as well. That's a pretty big lens.
> The IQ seems excellent. Very sharp and what looks to me to be very smooth out
> of focus rendering.
> Bob, I needed the extra depth of the grip to balance the composition.
> Dan, in retrospect, I should have wiped the thing down before taking pictures
> of it.
>
> Thanks all who looked
>
> bill

A couple other observation on this lens - I got mine a few days ago, and every
time I pick it up I am surprised at how light it is. So yes, it is large, but
not uncomfortable to carry. The lens hood is a fairly small screw-on that
doesn't add much to the bulk, the supplied slip-on lens cap fits over the end
of hood.

And no, I haven't done enough with it to be able to comment in detail on image
quality. I did some shots of red berries coated with ice from the ice storm.
Handheld, plus the wind was blowing the branch, and the pictures are pretty
poor. But not a fault of the lens.

stan