On Jan 15, 2014, at 09:16 , Stanley Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info> wrote:

> This topic has come up a few times recently. I don’t recall what solutions
> were provided, but here is something that sounds good.
>
> From today’s Tim Grey’s eNewsletter, the situation is that original digital
> files have been lost. Can anything be salvaged from the previews that had
> been generated by Lightroom?  Grey’s answer:
>
>> … Jeffrey Friedl has developed a plug-in that allows you to extract previews
>> from the LRDATA file (and a variety of other helpful plug-ins). After
>> installing this plug-in, you simply launch it within Lightroom, and all
>> current photos (such as in the current folder) will have the previews
>> extracted and saved to a folder of your choosing. You can even have the
>> metadata from your Lightroom catalog added back to those JPEG images, which
>> is a tremendously helpful option since the previews don’t contain any of the
>> metadata for your original photos.
>>
>> You can find the preview extraction plug-in (and a link to instructions for
>> installing) through Jeffrey Friedl’s blog here:
>>
>> http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/preview-extraction
>>
>> The JPEG previews for your photos are of course considerably smaller than
>> the original full-resolution captures. By default, for example, Lightroom
>> creates previews that are 1440 pixels on the long edge. That translates to
>> an image that consists of a little under 1.4 megapixels based on a typical
>> aspect ratio. So, quite small compared to most cameras, but of course better
>> than having no images at all.
>

> Hopefully this information is of no interest or utility to anyone here…

I had to do this when a botched backup process resulted in me duplicating a
blank DVD backup with another blank DVD backup and then toasting the source
folder.

No biggie, just the month my daughter got married.  I was able to extract
"pretty good" copies from the LRDATA file... but I've never screwed up that
royally ever again!

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com