Julia Gerace wrote:
> This is my first message here and I've never seen this format before -
> Wow...

Hi Julia,

Welcome to the group!  As I was going through my in-box, I noticed your name
right away -- recognized it from the considerable number of shots you've
posted to Photocritique.net over the past several months.  I'm no expert,
but I've enjoyed quite a number of your postings there.  A couple I think
are particularly adorable:
http://www.photocritique.net/g/s?zzma5n-p10110737
http://www.photocritique.net/g/s?zzmgJn-p10110737

You do a very nice job photographing children.  Children can be difficult
subjects -- the little ones often don't sit still long enough, and the older
ones are often self-conscious.  Wish I could do a better job of it.  I find
it difficult to manually focus fast enough to keep up with the action.  My
16-month-old grandson doesn't mind me getting right in close and shooting
away with a fast 50mm while he's eating, playing, etc., but his older
brother and sisters don't like a camera right in their faces.  For them, I
find that 105 is a good focal length for head-and-shoulders indoor shots,
and maybe 85 for including a little more of the body or background.  I have
better luck if they're engrossed in an activity and not aware of the camera.
My 135 is faster at f/2.5, but I usually don't have the necessary distance
to get the framing I like indoors.  It's my choice for outdoor portraits,
however.

For what it's worth, I'd say you're doing well with the equipment you have.
A fast portrait lens might be the best bet for your next equipment
acquisition.  There's a great site Stan Halpin maintains discussing SMC
Pentax lenses:
http://www.concentric.net/~smhalpin/

But like several other folks have mentioned already, your creative vision is
probably the most important thing.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a monthly Pentax Users Gallery:
http://pug.komkon.org

I think the May gallery is an open theme, and the June one is a portrait
theme.  Hope you'll consider sharing some of your work in these upcoming
galleries.

Regards,

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY