Boris,

I hope the corrections at either end turns out to be on the same side
("plus" or "minus").
It is rather unlikely to find the same adjustment (let us say plus 5)
fits both ends.
The magnifications at zoom ends (17mm vs 70mm) differ significantly but the
step motor's hardware remains the same.
I also think that, of the two ends of the range, adjusting for the
tele end should be better.
The problems of focusing are a lot easier to spot there.

Have a photographically pleasing Sunday :)

Bulent

http://patoloji.gen.tr
http://celasun.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bc_the_path/