Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 28/01/2014 6:16 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
>> Bob W wrote:
>>
>>> And I'm really not interested in an EVF, however hard they push it.
>>
>> Same for me. For now.
>>
>> But I expect EVF's will eventually get as good as optical viewfinders
>> and will replace them – the elimination of the moving mirror, prism,
>> etc. will make the cost reduction irresistible (though I'm skeptical
>> of their effect on battery life).
>
>Yes kids, we have a winner.
>
>Using my X-Pro1 with the viewfinder lit up has incredibly short battery
>
>life. The X-T1 will have an accessory battery grip, which adds to the
>size and weight, and probably still won't take it up to a K5IIs for
>number of pictures.
>They are listing the battery life at 350 for the X-T1. I bet the
>reality
>is a lot less.
>>
>> Now that I think about it I realize I got it backwards: EVF's will
>> replace optical viewfinders and *then* they'll (eventually) get as
>> good as optical viewfinders. I hope they'll get "good enough" before
>> then. This new Fuji could be the tipping point.
>>

>From what I've heard, mirrorless sales numbers aren't all there. While
>they have a small but vocal fan(boy) base, they aren't really being
>embraced by the public.
>
>bill

Bill,

I take so few shots that I've never run the X-E2 dry in less than a few days,
but I can see how others might have issues with short battery life. The X-T1,
if I read correctly, offers a "common sense" EVF mode whereby it only turns on
when you put your eye to it (and the rear LCD is off all the time). Why it's
taken them 4 or so years to implement this instead of the "EVF on all the time"
mode they had is beyond me. When I'm street shooting I actually carry the
camera turned off in my hand, then turn it on when I see a shot worth taking.

As far as mirrorless sales go, from memory I will quote that in Asia and Europe
DSLRs represent about 1/3 of camera sales,  and mirrorless another 1/3. In the
US, however, DSLRs are around 40% and mirrorless 15% (I'm on my phone and can't
check actual values, so I might be off with the numbers, but the trend should
be correct).

The US is a huge market, but let's remember these camera makes are Asian, and
if it sells there, they will keep making it.

I was anti EVF until I spent a month shooting with the Panny G3 for a review.
Then I went back to the K10D and wondered where the histogram and all the other
info in the OVF had gone to. And why was it all off a sudden so hard to
manually focus in low light??? Why was the OVF so dark??? Haven't looked back
since.

That's not to say I don't get the romanticism and directness of the OVF (I do
love looking through my LX's viewfinder), it's just that a *good* EVF offers me
more benefits. Ideally we'd have DSLR OVFs with lots of projected info, just
like the Fuji X-Pro 1, but nobody seems to be in a hurry to develop that.
Cheers,

  —M.

  \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

  http://EnticingTheLight.com