This morning I took a few minutes to see how well some decent zooms compare
to a decent prime.
A50/2.8 macro
F35-135
FA28-105
DA18-55WR

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55001392@N08/sets/72157640341842866/

These pic represent the center approx. 1/10 of the frame.  Yes, this time I
used a tripod.

Please pardon the blue tone as the lights were not yet warmed up.

1/6 @ f/20, iso 100

As expected the A50/2.8 was sharper.
FA28-105 #2.
DA18-55 #3
F35-135 #4.

FA28-105
I did not expect either zoom to equal a prime.  The 28-105 just didn't have
enough contrast.  Reflections became muddied just slightly.
Still, not too bad.

F35-135
It might be the equal of the 28-105 but it only focuses down to 1.6M.  Had
to shoot from >2x the distance.  Can't use it in the studio.

DA18-55
It doesn't have quite the edge sharpness of the 28-105 but it does seem to
have a little better saturation.
The bright areas stand out a little more.

Now ... what I need is a quality zoom or two that will close-focus for
comparison.

***

Next test is at lunch today.  I'm going to take the four out and shoot some
snow scenes.
We'll see how things compare at a distance.