I wouldn't buy it even if I won ALL the lotteries (and anyway I would
have to actually buy lottery tickets first).

As someone else pointed out, you can make good black & white images
using a camera that has a color sensor, but you won't [easily] make
color images with a camera that has a monochrome sensor.

But, it's Bob's money, so he can do with it what he wants. It's not my
job to tell him what he can or can't buy.