On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Rob Studdert <distudio.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a good article in that it stresses the importance of connection
> with the subject, however I don't think that the technicalities and
> the interpersonal relationship between the subject and photographer
> are mutually exclusive, depending on the shooting environment of
> course.

Most certainly the technical issues are still important else we'd all
just use crappy smartphone cams and leave it at that. His point is, as
I get it, that we need to not stop at "it's technically perfect" like
so many of us gadget fanatics do. And in fact it's the soft gooey
people issues that get you a better portrait than merely perfecting
the image capturing process.

> The worst shoots I have been involved in were at studio workshops
> where the lighting was pre-set and near to perfect but the models came
> thick and fast. It's like a sausage factory, one model after another,
> one set then the next. I found that the quality of my images suffer
> terribly if I have no time to connect with the models, technically
> they may be flawless but they lack emotion and substance.

That could be a special case though. Fashion photography -- if this is
what it is -- is all about the _clothes_ and the not the models. The
models are quite literally mannequins (which is what mannequin means
in French: model) or clothes horses and they are expected to look
blank, not engaging with the audience.

Wait, I just re-read your paragraph: studio workshops. I see the
problem here. :-) These are not designed for good photography, they
are designed to optimize monetary returns to the organizers. That's my
cynical take. If you want to get good shots, hire or trade with your
own model and take your time. Forget these overcrowded workshops.
Workshops I have attended were closer to 1-on-1. Three students, one
teacher and an assistant, two models (plus MUA and hair). Total time
in workshop: 6 hours. Lots of time to engage with the models, and
everyone else in the session too. Got great expression from models.

--
-bmw