They are still making profit just not as much as they used to. The
economic crisis was very tough in some parts, my former employer went
bankrupt. I sure wasn't thinking about buying cameras then.

A lot of people were getting mortgage loans in CHF before 2009 when it
was cheap. Then look what happened:
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CHF&to=EUR&view=5Y
Those people are in big trouble now, many of them have lost their houses.

As Bob pointed out, the Eurozone is different from the EU, not all
member states have the same currency:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union
But the economy of the member states are affecting each other, we all
felt the effects of Greek government-debt crisis. There are
subsidiaries of Greek banks in Romania, and when people heard the news
they were literally running for their money. This in turn made it even
worse.