On 3/18/2014 10:48 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM, John <johnsess...@yahoo.com> wrote:
On 3/16/2014 1:47 AM, Larry Colen wrote:

I can't get my mecablits 58 af2 to work as a dumb slave in servo mode.

Is there something obvious that I'm likely missing?

Yeah, you should'a bought some old 285HVs when you had a chance.  8-D

I know you were jesting, but there's no really need for anyone to be
buying ancient 285HVs anymore. The Neewer TT560 is a solid manual-only
performer, with a simple pushbutton interface, for under fifty bucks
brand new. Will trigger as a slave from first flash or after the
pre-flash. Only 1/2 to 2/3 stop less power than an AF540.

Only partly in jest. Well, almost completely in jest when I wrote it,
but now that I think about it ...

For a "dumb slave", all the automation can get in the way, and far too
frequently can be unreliable. You can end up spending more time getting
it to work than actually using it to do the work.

Sometimes, dead simple works better. It's quicker to squash bugs with
a fly-swatter than to call up a bug squashing app on your iPad.

I wouldn't buy a *NEW* 285HV. I understand the quality is just not
there. But I do think if you run across the old ones that are still
working, you should snap them up.

I would.

Old Vivitar 285HVs are like lenses ... you can never have too many.

YMMV