I suspect quite a few PDMLers would appreciate this collection:
http://themetapicture.com/photographing-a-town-that-never-was/

This echoed in my mind with the photos of the vintage cars I've seen
from Paul.

There are more pictures in his Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/page1/

Among those are a few interesting collections:
"Mary Janes":
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/sets/72157604251470791/

And in this one, "recreating the past" collection, he an interesting
description (under "more"):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/sets/72157604253082581/
"I had been collecting 20th century memorabilia for a number of years
and felt I had to do something creative with it, instead of just having
it packed in boxes.
In the late 1980's I had the grand idea of recreating the 1950's through
a series of staged photographs.
Over a period of years, rooms were redecorated, vintage cars were found,
authentic food was prepared and friends came over to dress up.
Here are some of the results.
Not being satisfied with just the photos, I eventually put together a
series of fake photo albums, a fictitious personal diary and souvenirs
from imaginary trips. All of this was placed in trunk and
put aside so someone would eventually find it.
Is it unfair to have people think that what they found is real?
Hmmmmm. Good question."

Cheers,

Igor